New Facility In South Dakota Using Triad Hot Water Boilers
St. Katherine Drexel Church is a beautiful Catholic church located in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. This building is new construction that has a distinct modern design, yet with a strong nod to traditional houses of worship.
There are 23 St. Katherine Drexel parishes in the U.S.. Saint Katharine Drexel (1858–1955) was an American heiress, philanthropist, religious nun, and educator who was canonized by the Roman Catholic Church in 2000. When her family visited the Western U.S. in 1884, Katharine saw the plight of the native Indian-Americans. Thus he spent her life supporting, personally and financially, numerous missions and missionaries in the United States. In particular she contributed money to help the Indians of the St. Francis Mission on South Dakota’s Rosebud Reservation.
In 2004, St. Michael’s Church in Sioux Falls was adding parishioners at a rate that soon exceeded its capacity. It became clear that a second church was needed and in 2006 construction began on St. Katharine Drexel Catholic Church.
Construction was managed by Fiegen Construction. As part of this, Climate Systems installed two Triad Series 800 Hot Water Boilers as well as a chilled water system and two outdoor air handling units that heat and cool the worship space. When the hall is unoccupied, a single unit is utilized to help control temperature and humidity at minimum occupancies. This is important as the church is 23,000 sq ft., so this will minimize fuel costs during those times.
The Triad Boilers have a firing input of 800,000 Btu’s each, for a total of 1,600,000 btu’s, utilizing Powerflame gas fired JR30 burners. The Church appreciates the modular concept, the reliability of the steel vessels, and the fully assembled, “packaged” nature of the TRIAD boilers that came ready to fit into the very tight space, with no sections to put together.
Construction was finalized in 2008 with the completion of the church alter and education center. These photos show the sanctuary floor that is made of travertine tile and the altar made up of a solid stone slab resting on two vertical stone slabs and weighs 4,300 pounds. The tabernacle is over 70 years old and was reclaimed from a parish in Quincy Illinois.